Sunday 28 February 2016

My Attempt at a Detox

 

I made the decision on Sunday to try a week long detox after falling off the wagon (health wise) in the last few weeks and feeling pretty rough as a result. You may have read all about my intentions for the week in my previous post. Monday, day 1, I found that I really craved a coffee and suffered from headaches but everything else went quite well. Tuesday was the worst day, I felt really sick; whether it was the dip in sugar or I wasn't consuming enough calories I am not sure. I did have to leave work at lunchtime, nap during my lunch hour and continue to work from home for the rest of the day. Wednesday I crumbled when my caring colleagues brought in some sweet treats (as they thought I needed the sugar after not feeling well yesterday). I gave in to an oat and raisin cookie. Another colleague brought in a tub of chocolates for her birthday so Thursday and Friday I succumbed to a few of those too.

I didn't intend for the detox to be a long term thing but I thought I would try it for a week, well that was the plan! My aim was to be kind to my body, to cleanse and flush out any toxins. I was surprised that by the end of the week, when I was even offered a coffee I was quite happy to say no thank you and choose water or a peppermint tea instead. Do I feel better for it? I think so, perhaps it is just from knowing that I am putting healthy foods and liquids into my body. I haven't done any exercise that was suggested though as I think I would just end up feeling really ill. I did do a few stretches and yoga poses Thursday evening and took the stairs while at work. I also took a rather scenic route along the river to a local Sainsbury's to purchase items for my Saturday brunch to stretch my legs and get a bit of fresh air.

What will I continue to do? I will continue to make the conscious choice to drink at least 2 litres of water a day to keep hydrated and will limit, perhaps even stop, consuming coffee and dairy during the week. I will also like to continue making the effort to make healthy lunches and evening meals but perhaps bulk it all out with a few treats here and there - everything in moderation

Here's a few photos from the week



A weekend treat

No comments:

Post a Comment