Monday 2 May 2016

What I've Been Reading: Me Before You

Google Images
Me Before You is one of the books I read while on holiday. Every now and then I like to read something different to my usual choice of crime thrillers. Sometimes I go to the library and browse the shelves and other times I Google the top 10 books to read from this year or last. Google found me the three books I downloaded on the Kindle; The Girl on the Train, Me Before You and A Little Life.

I was drawn to this book because of the hint of romance, the carer in me and my thoughts on disability. I really enjoyed getting to know the characters and following the development of relationships. I loved Lou's strong views that life is worth living, that it can be meaningful as this echoes my thoughts. However, what we both had to consider was how the person with the disability really felt and listen to what they really wanted. Throughout the story were some really touching, special moments that made me well up, both happy and sad. I'm not too sure that I could go and watch this film at the cinema, if I did I would need plenty of tissues and a pair of sunglasses.

I think the story raises and explores the important issue of euthanasia and assisted suicide, another concept for the reader to consider alongside the characters. Within that, the characters question what it means to live; ambition, independence, relationships. Some of the quotes from the book really make you think, here are a few that stand out for me;

'Push yourself, don't settle'
 
'You only get one life.
It is actually your duty to live it as fully as possible'
 
Have you read Me Before You, what did you think?
What are your thoughts on watching a film if you've read the book?   

No comments:

Post a Comment