Sunday 22 November 2015

What I'm Reading: Elizabeth is Missing

Image from Google
I was searching for books to read and decided to follow a friends advice and search the top books of 2014. Before this I had been working my way through Patricia Cornwall's Scarpetta crime novels and James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series of crime novels. Can you spot a theme? A favourite genre of mine? While awaiting the release of new books from these series I decided to see what else was out there. I was intrigued by Elizabeth is Missing after reading a comment on The Guardian's website, 'Emma Healey's dementia detective story.'

I have worked with individuals with Dementia as well as attending training on the condition through my work as a home care assistant. In recent years my Grandad has experienced significant issues with his memory. I am interested in the disease and how best to work with individuals who have it to enable them to live as well and independently as possible. I feel the same way about any disability.

I went on to read the blurb, to find out a little bit more about the story I was going to become part of. The story is centred about the central character, Maud. Maud is in her eighties and has vascular dementia. Maud narrates her quest to unravel and solve two tales, one is the disappearance of her friend Elizabeth, the second, interwoven through flashbacks, is the mystery of Maud's sister's disappearance seventy years earlier. This is alongside Maud using handwritten notes to herself, not always successfully, to keep track of her day to day life and discoveries.

I thought I had a reasonable understanding of Dementia and how to work with individuals who have it, however, what this book did for me was to give me an insight into what it was like for the individual, how it made them feel when they could see in others reactions that they had forgotten or irritated, the uncertainty and fear felt at times. Some of Maud's mannerisms also made me smile to myself because in them I recognised Grandad, asking the same questions repetitively, reading aloud and following instructions even if it is not the right time to do so. An example of this is when Grandad reads PUSH on the belt clasp of his wheelchair. He will push it and undo his belt even when he needs it to stay done up. After it is secured again, now he has seen it, he cannot leave it alone and every time he sees the instruction, what does he do? Pushes it and around again we go.

I thought that Elizabeth is Missing was a great book, I loved the aspect that touched me personally but also following the unravelling of the two mysteries.

Have you read the book, what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I read this book at the start of the year and I have thought about it frequently since.
    I loved the structure, with the interwoven stories and eras. I thought that was a great way to tell Maud's story but also communicate how her memory worked.
    It was actually rather distressing to read from the first person at times, but I thought this was really well executed and gave an insight into the experience of having dementia.

    I haven't read anything quite like this book before and it's one I'd recommend most highly out of those I've read this year!

    roisinfarmer.co.uk | Lifestyle, Beauty etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the book also. Other people I know have said that they couldn't get on with the book because they struggled to follow it, due to it being a bit jumbled at times but I liked that it aimed to offer that insight into the confusion dementia can cause.

      Steph x

      Delete
  2. I read this book at the start of the year and I have thought about it frequently since.
    I loved the structure, with the interwoven stories and eras. I thought that was a great way to tell Maud's story but also communicate how her memory worked.
    It was actually rather distressing to read from the first person at times, but I thought this was really well executed and gave an insight into the experience of having dementia.

    I haven't read anything quite like this book before and it's one I'd recommend most highly out of those I've read this year!

    roisinfarmer.co.uk | Lifestyle, Beauty etc.

    ReplyDelete